Saturday, June 8, 2013

Ireland

Well here I am in Ireland.  What a great place to be.  As I was flying here from France, my heart was filled with joy to hear English spoken.  After being in Italy where I could get by, and in France, where they don't have a real language, the awesome Irish accent just warms my heart.  Anyways, on to my adventures.  My first full day, I hopped on a bus to go up to Knock.  Knock is a shrine near Galway where Mary appeared to about 20 individuals in 1879.  Compared to Lourdes, it was so much more peaceful.  There were just a lot less people there and it was easy to get around the shrine.  I met Emma, from Bernardi, and one of her friends who came to Rome during the semester, Angie, there, and we had a great time.  Seeing the site where Mary appeared was beautiful and going to Mass in English was a joy.  Though I will say that there was one major disappointment at the Shrine.  Going there, I was very much hoping to sing one of my favorite Marian hymns, Lady of Knock.  Obviously, being at her shrine, I kind of expected it.  But alas, not once did I sing it there.  Very unfortunate.  I will admit singing it to myself many times walking around the shrine.  But here is a YouTube version of it, if you are interested.        

The next day, which happened to be my birthday, was marvelous.  And if you are reading this now and realizing that you had no idea that it was my birthday and feel even a little bit bad, please don't.  I'm quite alright with you forgetting.  And even though I was on a bus for the majority of the time, I had a great time.  I stopped in Galway for a couple of hours between buses and was able to celebrate with Emma and Angie.  They were just great, buying me lunch, a Psych pineapple, a Guinness and some candy for the rest of the ride.  Here is a compilation of pictures Emma sent me.  I really appreciated all of it.  And it was exactly what I would choose to do on my birthday: go out with some good friends and just hang out.  So that was just a great time.     

After a couple more buses, I arrived in Clonmel, the home of Eddie Cummins. Eddie is one of my cousins and it has been a joy staying with him the past 2 days.  He just turned 80 recently, but we have been having a great time together.  He is just a great man and it is good to be with him.  He has been so generous showing me around and hosting me this weekend.  Last night, we went over to Carmel's house, and Carmel is one of the coolest Irishwomen I've ever met.  Last time I was here (4th grade), she played tons of games with my sisters and I and we had a blast.  And since the day she found out that I entered the seminary, she has been praying fervently for me, which of course, I highly appreciate.  She is one of the fastest talkers I know, but will take care of anyone who comes to the door of her tiny home.  So it was just a wonderful time going over to see her.  So seeing her was probably one of the highlights of my time here in Clonmel.  Tomorrow, I will be heading off to County Kerry to hang out with Mike McMahon, Colin Jones, and Emma.  It really should be a great time.  So ya, things are great, but needless to say, I am very excited to go home Wednesday.  It will be great to see everyone again.  Thanks for your continued prayers and I will see all of you soon. 
Eddie, Carmel, and myself
St. Patrick - Pray for us!      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you say something stupid, I will delete it. It's a pretty simple policy.